Charcoal techniques and portrait workshop 13/14th January 2022
Charcoal techniques and portrait workshop
2 day workshop learning charcoal techniques.
Some drawing experience is desirable to benefit fully from this workshop.
10 in stock
About the tutor - Liz Balkwill
I graduated from Norwich School of Art in 1980. I started working as a portrait painter 25 years ago working in both oil paint and pastels. The painting of still-life enabled me to move away from solely commissioned work and get gallery representation. I am well known locally as a tutor and demonstrator. I have always been keen to improve my skills and have attended many workshops during my career including Daniel Greene, Nelson Shanks, Robert Liberace and Sally Strand who have all been a great source of inspiration. I have also been fortunate to have taught and mentored by Gareth Hawker, a British Portrait painter.
Awards and Prizes
- The President's Prize, Norfolk & Norwich Art Circle, 2009
- The SCS Prize for best small work, Armed Forces Art Society (AFAS), 2009
- St Cuthberts Mill Award, AFAS, 2010
- Highly commended SAA Artist of the Year, 2011
- Herring Easel Prize, ROI, 2013
- Unison Award, Pastel Society, 2013
- Society Prize for Painting, AFAS, 2013
- Pan Pastel Prize, Pastel Society 2015
- W & N award for non-member ROI 2016
- Buzzacott Award, Pastel society 2019
- Best in Show Award, Institute of East Anglian Artists, 2019.
Galleries and Exhibitions
Liz’s work is currently being exhibited in the following galleries:
Mandell’s Gallery (Norwich, Norfolk)
Westcliffe Gallery (Sheringham, Norfolk)
Vilas Fine Art, Letchworth
Thompson’s Gallery, Aldeburgh.
She is a regular contributor at the Mall Galleries with the ROI and the Pastel Society, and has shown with SWA and the Royal Society of Portrait Painter
Liz has written and contributed to features in the Artist’s and Illustrators Magazine.
About the workshop
Coffee, tea and light two course lunch with wine / juice included.
Car parking on-site.